ODA- Database migration between 2 ODA Boxes and 19C upgrade for EBS

ODA- Database migration between 2 ODA Boxes and 19C upgrade for EBS

mmanavat
Hello All,
I am hoping to get good advice on the below scenario  i am facing.
I have a 2 node RAC EBS 12C database running on ODA X4(Oracle database appliance version 18) and we are trying to migrate the database to another X8 machine(oracle database appliance 19.10) .

For migration I was hoping to create a standby using -Oracle Database Appliance:Implementing MAA Disaster Recovery Solutions Using Oracle Data Guard in the new X8 , once the standby is in sync during the down time we can perform "activate standby"  to complete the migration . Is there any potential issue in the above method?

Secondly - After the migration we need to upgrade the database from 12C to 19C. As it is an EBS database we need to covert the DB to multi tenant architecture. Did the "odacli upgrade-database" command will perform the CDB creation and PDB creation or we need to do it manually?

Do you have any better suggestions for the above scenarios

Your prompt reply would be appreciated

Thanks

Re: ODA- Database migration between 2 ODA Boxes and 19C upgrade for EBS

ErmanArslansOracleBlog
Administrator
The method you are considering to follow for this migration seems to correct.
You will just do a dataguard "failover"..

Business Continuity for Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.2 using Virtual Hosts with Oracle 12c Physical Standby Database (Doc ID 2088692.1) -> Section 8: Role Transitions

Yes.. EBS 19C Upgrade requires multitenancy.. So during the process, you are going to convert your EBS DB to multitenant and it is a must.
We first install 19C -- software only. Then we create a CDB.. Then after we upgrade our EBS database to 19C, we convert it to PDB. So we don't create an empty PDB there beforehand..

Well, I don't think odacli upgrade-database is EBS aware.. So I would just follow the Interoperability Notes: Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.2 with Oracle Database 19c (Doc ID 2552181.1)... As for the upgrade --> The instructions for the database upgrade are outlined in Appendix B and Chapter 6 of the Oracle Database Upgrade Guide 19c

Re: ODA- Database migration between 2 ODA Boxes and 19C upgrade for EBS

mmanavat
Thank you for the replay.

we will try to follow the doc for the migration.
 For the 19C upgrade. If we are installing the home and following the interoperability notes do we need to do some additional steps to register the DB with ODA?

Re: ODA- Database migration between 2 ODA Boxes and 19C upgrade for EBS

ErmanArslansOracleBlog
Administrator
What advantage does this have for you? There is no written requirement for it.
You can also check the following ->
http://erman-arslan-s-oracle-forum.2340467.n4.nabble.com/How-to-register-database-for-ODA-via-odacli-td9652.html

Re: ODA- Database migration between 2 ODA Boxes and 19C upgrade for EBS

mmanavat
Thank You for your replay.