How do I set db_unique_name properly in CDB.env file?

How do I set db_unique_name properly in CDB.env file?

SriCheb
Hi Erman,

I have used pairsfile to configure DBTier and I don't see an option to set DB_UNIQUE_NAME. Is there any parameter to set this value using pairs file? I am editing CDB.env file to set DB_UNIQUE_NAME.

Your feed back is greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
SriC

Re: How do I set db_unique_name properly in CDB.env file?

SriCheb
I have added s_cdb_unique_name in pairsfile to address this issue. Everything seems to be fine.
Thank you,
SriC

Re: How do I set db_unique_name properly in CDB.env file?

SriCheb
Erman,

I think, I spoke too early. Even though I have added "s_cdb_unique_name=ebsdbx04_rik21q" in pairsfile to create context file using perl adclonectx.pl, I am not getting the right value in context file. I think s_cdb_name is being used to create the following.

Value in context file:
 <cdb_unique_name oa_var="s_cdb_unique_name">ebsdbx04</cdb_unique_name>

I am trying to clone EBS DB (19c) on VM DB instance from bare metal. VM DB assigns unique name, at the time of VM creation. When I configure dbStack using adcfgclone, CDB.env has cdb_name instead of unique name and causing srvctl commands to fail for maintenance.

I would appreciate, if you could share your knowledge or point me in right direction to correct this issue.
Thank you,
SriC

Re: How do I set db_unique_name properly in CDB.env file?

ErmanArslansOracleBlog
Administrator
Hi,

Info:

s_cdb_unique_name: This variable is set to the DB unique name for the CDB.
s_cdb_name: This variable is set to CDB SID.

Checked -> Cloning Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.2 with Multitenant Database using Rapid Clone (Doc ID 2552208.1)
In that document, there is no s_cdb_unique_name in the context file, so maybe you can't just enter s_cdb_unique_name to the pairsfile..

I didn't check this s_cdb_unique_name thing in my lab, but if there is no option for making adclonectx.pl get the s_cdb_unique_name you want and you may find & modify the templates that are used during the process. This will not be suppported move but it will work.

What is that VM DB instance bytheway? What VM is that? Why does it assign a unique name by itself?

Re: How do I set db_unique_name properly in CDB.env file?

SriCheb
Infact, database was created on OCI as DBaaS. I am trying to clone multitenant database from IaaS on OCI. I ran into issues like registering PDB as service. Not sure whether this issue was related db_unique_name but trying to eliminate the possibilities to make clone environment work

In the context file, I see the following entry. But value assigned was ORACLE_SID, not ORACLE_UNQNAME

 <cdb_unique_name oa_var="s_cdb_unique_name">ebsdbx03</cdb_unique_name>

Thank you,
SriC

Administrator
What documentation you follow for cloning EBS on OCI? and what are the issues you get, trying to register the PDB as a server?

Re: How do I set db_unique_name properly in CDB.env file?

SriCheb
Erman,

Source DB is 19c multitenant on IaaS and target DB is 19c multitenant on DBaaS. As there is no specific documentation available for RAPID CLONE within OCI, I am using the following documents as reference.

CLONING ORACLE E-BUSINESS SUITE RELEASE 12.2 WITH RAPID CLONE (DOC ID 1383621.1)
CLONING EBS 12.2 WITH MULTITENANT DATABASE USING RAPID CLONE (DOC ID 2552208.1)

After preclone on DBTier, I have cloned the PDB to target using dblink method, cleaned up source PDB services on cloned PDB before I ran post clone steps.

If you have any reference for cloning EBS PDBs within OCI, I would appreciate your feedback.
Thank you,
SriC

Re: How do I set db_unique_name properly in CDB.env file?

ErmanArslansOracleBlog
Administrator
In OCI, EBS Cloud Manager provides an infrastructure optimized cloning capability for environments created using the tool..

Did you check the following article?

https://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/obe/cloud/compute-iaas/cloning_environment_using_ebs_cloud_manager_on_oci/105clone_env_cm.html

It tells you the way for cloning an Oracle E-Business Suite environment using Oracle E-Business Suite Cloud Manager.

Does it help? Is it applicable in your case?

Re: How do I set db_unique_name properly in CDB.env file?

SriCheb
Emran,

We don't have EBS cloud manager configured yet. For that reason, I am trying to clone manually. The only options I came up with are editing env files correct DB_UNIQUE_NAME or add values in custom env file.

I am able to manually migrate DB instance from IaaS to DBaaS in OCI. I have used RAPID clone document as reference.

Thank you,
SriC

Re: How do I set db_unique_name properly in CDB.env file?

ErmanArslansOracleBlog
Administrator
Okay.. I see..
There is no specific documentation for that.
I can't offer a fix or workaround without reproducing this issue and currently I don't have time & space to reproduce it.
So I need to check this hands-on. This may be your option #1
Your option #2 is to log a SR and request a specific document for this.

Rapid clone works for the OCI compute but you have DBAAs as the target, DB Cloud Service..

Normally, you should refer to the following documents, but they are not actually the one you look for.. Still you may need  to check..

My Oracle Support Knowledge Document 2517025.1, Getting Started with Oracle E-Business Suite on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure

My Oracle Support Knowledge Document 2774983.1, Getting Started with Oracle E-Business Suite on Exadata Cloud@Customer Gen 2

Migrating Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.2 with Oracle Database 12.1.0.2 to Oracle Exadata Cloud@Customer Gen 2 (Doc ID 2758998.1)